These healthy greens get their rich flavor from smoked turkey, instead of fatback.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ pound smoked turkey breast, skinless
- 1 tablespoon fresh hot pepper, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 pounds greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture)
- Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems.
- Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Add greens to turkey stock. Cook for 20–30 minutes until tender.
For more soulful recipes like this, visit Heart Healthy Home Cooking, African American Style: With Every Heartbeat Is Life