Hello BIH Participants and Friends,
Happy New Year and welcome to 2024! I am excited to enter the 33rd year of the Black Infant Health Program in San Diego County. During this time, we have had the privilege of serving thousands of Black women and their families.
This new year will bring changes and more opportunities for the BIH program. We will be opening a new program site in Oceanside, California, to better serve families in the North County. Our prenatal and postpartum groups will return to in-person offerings. We will continue to offer Infant CPR education and training for our families, breastfeeding classes and will initiate infant massage classes. And of course, there will be participant baby showers, a participant appreciation luncheon, and our 11th Annual Old School Fun in the Sun Event, so stay tuned and stay in touch.
Through our upcoming events, you’ll engage in opportunities to meet new moms and moms-to-be, discuss topics related to pregnancy and birth, learn tips and tricks for nutrition, receive one-on-one support, and so much more. You’ll even get the chance to receive free gifts like breast pumps, and earn “Baby Dollars” you can redeem for necessities at Target, Walmart, and Amazon! These enticing programs will make you feel great about establishing notable connections and getting must-have goodies!
Though we can’t predict all that 2024 will bring, we look forward to building on our past to usher in a bright year and a positive future serving our BIH community.
Neighborhood House Association
San Diego County Black Infant Health Program
San Diego County Black Infant Health Program Services
Prenatal & Postpartum Groups
- Opportunity to meet other expectant and new moms
- Engage in discussion on pregnancy & labor, nutrition, healthy relationships, and more
- Celebrate milestones with peers
- One on One Support with an assigned Family Health Advocate
Identify Strengths & Needs
- Utilize Individual Life Planning
- Get connected to other programs and resources
Access to BIH Public Health Nurse (PHN)
- Create a birth plan
- Request a home visit
- Take advantage of safety check which includes free safety kit
- Receive additional support and resources for prenatal/postpartum health and infant care
Mocha Milk Breastfeeding Support Class
- Get guidance on best practices for positioning and latching
- Address common problems and concerns
- Take home a free Breast Pump after attending
Access to a Mental Health Professional
- Make an appointment for a wellness check or short-term therapeutic services
- Request a referral for additional therapeutic services and counseling
- Use Lyft Concierge to get to and from medical appointments and BIH events
Free Diapers, Wipes, & Feminine Hygiene
- Contact your Family Health Advocate to request diapers, wipes, and/or feminine hygiene
Additional Support & Services
- Earn “Baby Dollars” that can be redeemed for purchases from Walmart, Target, and Amazon
- Join in on free family-friendly events including baby showers, luncheons, and the annual Black Breastfeeding Week Celebration!