Neighborhood House Association’s Friendship Clubhouse is a member-driven rehabilitation and recovery program for adults with severe and persistent mental illness, including those who may have co-occurring substance use disorders. Friendship Clubhouse strives to provide a safe, supportive environment that is sensitive to each member’s unique needs.
The program’s services focus on peer support, social and independent living skills enhancement, wellness and recovery, recreation and vocational rehabilitation. Based on the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation, the goal of Friendship Clubhouse is the empowerment of members to re-establish their normal roles in the community and to successfully re-integrate into community life through active participation in the planning and achievement of their personal recovery goals. Members and staff work in partnership in all activities of the Program. Friendship Clubhouse members choose how often they attend the program and in which activities they participate.
Neighborhood House Association’s Friendship Clubhouse offers a variety of activities to its members, including:
- Health & wellness classes and activities
- Self-help groups
- Recovery groups and classes
- Recreational & entertainment activities
- Peer support and advocacy
- Vocational support
- Life skills classes
- Computer literacy classes
- Employment support
- In-house and community volunteering
- Arts & crafts
- Community garden
To qualify for membership, applicants must:
- Be willing to participate in the activities of the Friendship Clubhouse
- Be at least 18 years of age and a resident of San Diego County
- Have a history of mental illness that is verifiable by a medical professional
- Be able to follow simple instructions
- Have no severe mental or physical limitations that would make them dependent on others to perform simple tasks
- Have no severe and current substance abuse problems or violent behavior that would pose a threat to the safety, or disrupt the activities of, the Friendship Clubhouse community
All services are provided free of charge.